Tuesday, May 26, 2009

MY REVIEW: Yamaha Mio Soul (2008) a few KMS before 6000kms


YAMAHA MIO SOUL

First Bike:
I got my bike last July 20,2008 from a Yamaha authorized dealer here in Pangasinan (Norkis Calasiao). I was very excited and really very eager to learn to drive it alone since it was really the first bike I've ever bought, own and driven for more that 100kms. Honestly before I bought my bike, I don't know a single thing about it. All I know is that it looks good and its easier to drive.

I used to wake up at 4am in the morning and have it preheated beofre I take it for a spin. to develop my driving skills. I did everyday for 2 weeks and viola! at long last I finally learned how to balance the bike, run it above the 20kph mark, traveling more than 10kms in a single day and lots more.

First Change Oil 500kms:
I followed what the manual says, I chose to do the break-in method by the book. Not much changes has happened since its only my first time to change my oil.

Second Change Oil 1000kms:
I replaced the Yamalube (yamaha oem oil) with the Motul Mineral 3000 20w50 and I noticed that the vibration of the bike really increased / worstened. Since I didn't know much about motorcycle I decided to use the oil a little more until I reach the 2000kms mark. Like I said I followed the manual, not knowing that changing oils every 300 or 500kms is better specially during the break in period.

Third Change Oil 2000kms:
Switched back to Yamalube, and had Denso Iridium iuf24 installed. All I can say is that the improvement in my Mio's performance is very noticeable. During the early morning engine preheat period, 1 push of the electric starter is already enough to let your bike run. My bike experienced its 1st ever tune up from the dealer.

Fourth Change Oil 3000kms:
Had my bikes oil changed again, still used Yamalube.

Fifth Change Oil 4000kms:
I met Maxima Oils Philippines Marketing Man, Sir Bernard Advincula here in Dagupan when he was scouting for potential distributors of his top notch Maxima Oil. At 4000kms, I already changed to Maxima Maxum 4 Extra 15w50 (I was given a sample bottle by Sir Bernard during our meet). After I changed the oil to Maxima, I noticed that my mio handling is much smoother now. and that I can reach top speed faster unlike when I was using Yamalube and Motul brand oils. I like how my motorcycle is performing now than ever. You can quote me on that.

Sixth Change Oil 6000kms:
Still looking for Maxim Maxum 4 Extra 15w50. I can't seem to find one in the entire Dagupan Area. I'm close to reaching 6000kms, Im already at 5867kms.



PROs

1. Its fully automatic - riding it / learning to ride it is very easy. you can easily maneuver it thru traffic, because of its Twist and Go function, going from 1 place to another has never been this easy.


2. Comfortable - been driving this bike for almost a year now, and its still as comfortable as it was since I 1st drove it. This bike is suited for guys are like me, guys who want to travel in a small / compact comfortable bike.


3. Headlight Assembly - Honestly, of all the features of the bike, the headlight assembly caught my attention the most. I love it. In fact, I'm planning on having HID (High Intensity Discharge) sometime soon. very soon. hehe.


4. Lots of OEMs and Aftermarket Parts - Everywhere you go, you can see shops selling engine and aesthetic upgrades from my Lovable Mio Soul.


5. Compact - this is like the hyundai accent of cars, very small yet very fast and comfortable and efficient. hehe. I really love this bike.


6. Fuel Consumption - My average Fuel Consumption is 35.7km/L, for a 200lbs guy its a good sign. hehe.


7. Top Speed - I reached 110kph+ once, during our Beach Ride with the CLIP Riders of the North. But a friend, who was driving a Honda Wave 125 said he was already running 110 but I was still in front of him. He told me maybe my mio reached 115kph. NOTE: I'm a 200lbs guy, really heavy rider. hehe.


8. Step Board - really very comfortable, i like my mio better than the bigger version the Yamaha Nouvo Z. not to mention I can carry lots of things, I just put them in my step board and then twist and go. hehe.


CONs

1. Pressure of Upgrading - when you buy this bike, you'll get really pressured specially now that there are a lot of aesthetic and engine upgrades out in the market. Some people even told me, "NOBODY STAYS STOCK ANYMORE". and I said, "REALLY? MY BIKE IS STILL FULL STOCK. FROM THE THREAD OF MY TIRES TO THE PLASTIC THREAD OF MY SIDE MIRRORS." hehe. STOCK is better than those that are modified for the main reason that you'll spend a huge amount of money for a small difference in TopSpeed and Fuel Consumption.


2. TOO MANY - Sad to say, the Yamaha Mios are the new Honda XRM. which for me is a downer, i really hate it when i see lots of guys owning the same bike as i have. hehe. is it jealousy? no its not, i just want to me unique. i still remembered the time i bought my bike, there were only a few Mio Soul owners in Dagupan and in Mangaldan. now, everywhere you go you'll see one. I'm sure of it.


3.Can't think of any other CONs as of now.